In response to improper disposal of consumer information, the Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act [FACTA] has been made law.
- Applies to every person and business in the United States
- Requires the destruction of all consumer information
Additionally, healthcare records are protected under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act [HIPAA].
- Requires destruction of all health information that identifies individuals
- Prevents abuse and unauthorized access to personal health information
- Enforced by the US Office of Civil Rights
- Imposes severe penalties to violators